Saturday, June 22, 2013

God and the splinter






I remember vividly the first time my son Israel (Izzy) got a splinter as a small child.  He was playing on the wooden swing set in our back yard when he got a large painful looking splinter deeply embedded in the palm of his hand.  When he came in to show it to his mom and I, his lower lip was quivering and I could tell that he was scared.  When I told him that we needed to remove that splinter—I quickly saw his fear turn into abject terror. He didn’t understand at that time--that what seemed painful and traumatic to him was necessary in order to prevent infection or further problems.   As a parent I couldn’t leave that splinter in.  I knew once that splinter was removed, Izzy would feel much better and healing could take place.  My little son wept bitterly and fought against me as hard as he could as I dug for the splinter.  I remember as I forced his little hand open and tried to get ahold of a small section of that splinter the look of confusion on Izzy’s face as his "little boy heart" didn’t understand why his mom and I were causing him so much pain.  I don’t think he noticed at the time that I was also crying?  You see, as a small child, he couldn’t fathom how intensely his father loved him and that I would never do anything to intentionally hurt my beloved son.  Once the splinter was removed it took him quite a while to calm down.  Once he did however, he went back outside and started playing in the backyard again. 
    Isn’t that how our walk with God is sometimes?  We experience pain and hardship in life and our complete focus is to escape from our trauma not realizing that our loving heavenly father is an expert in using hardship to transform our hearts.  Often we even fight against God and wonder why he simply allows us to hurt not understanding that our Heavenly father often uses the normal hardships of life to help us become who he has called us to be (if we let him).  The other evening I experienced a feeling of overwhelming gratitude towards God for all of the changes in my life over the past few years.  It’s pretty amazing that less than a few short years ago—all I could think to do was frantically pray that God would rescue me from the pain and trauma that I was experiencing in my life.  When I didn’t see those prayers being answered the way I thought they should—often I became bitter or felt like God was abandoning me.  Because of my distorted image of God I could only see the tribulation in my life as evidence that things were spiraling out of control and God was either unaware on unconcerned about what was going on in my life.  I can honestly say at present that I’m so very grateful for everything I have experienced.  Over the last 18 months God has really softened my heart and changed the way I view life.  In every area of my life I now see God’s loving hand guiding me.  Although I’m still waiting for some lose ends to be tied up in my life, I am so excited for whatever new adventures that God has in store for me in the future.   I’m also enjoying the fact that I can trust God with the splinters in my own life knowing that "in all things he works for the good of those who love him". 
    If you are going through a painful situation now and you are a “Christ follower”, just know that God is lovingly speaking to you behind the scenes and saying “I know this time is hurtful but it’s necessary.  I haven’t abandoned you and I have so many wonderful things around the corner for you.  Just trust me as you are my precious son/daughter that I love.”  If you haven’t experienced a relationship with your heavenly father yet and would like to, the Bible says that “If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” (Romans 10:9).  Just cry out to him (God) because your heavenly father loves you zealously and intensely desires a relationship with you.  -Brian 

Jer. 29:11, For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Romans 8:28, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” 

Hebrews 13:5, “Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"It's easy to be a "Christian" when life is good. The real sign of a person's relationship with Jesus is who they are when things are hard and it seems like life is falling apart." ~Brian