Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Knowing the REAL "Superman".





 

    As a young boy I always wanted to be a super hero.  I grew up watching Batman and Superman on TV and because of that I've always had to be the first one at the theater to see the newest superhero movie whenever it was released.  As part of that tradition I had recently gone to see the new Superman movie, Man of Steel, at the local theater.  I remember while watching "Man of Steel" I thought, “How cool would it be to know that you were invulnerable?  To know that there was no obstacle that you couldn’t smash through, leap over or fly around.  Bullets have no effect on you and you could always be confident that your environment was always within your control.  Additionally, how awesome would it be for Clark Kent--slowly realizing that there is nothing for him to fear while simultaneously beginning to understand the full impact of his destiny.  I think that would be the definition of joy for me.  It’s the excitement of knowing who you are, realizing that you have a destiny and lastly knowing that everything around you is under control. 

    The other day I noticed that I was extremely joyful and wasn’t really sure why?  That has happened to me a few times as of late.  It was kind of interesting as nothing particularly awesome or exciting had happened?  I hadn’t been alerted that I won a million dollars on Hoosier lotto,  I’m still single, I hadn’t bought a new car, I hadn’t even had a particularly good sales day at  my job (Soundsational).  Yet here I was overwhelmed with confidence and excitement looking forward to the prospect of whatever new adventure I was going to encounter that day?  And then the thought hit me, this is what joy really is.  Joy isn’t dependent on circumstance.  Joy isn’t the same thing as happiness. I’m happy when good things are happening.  Joy however is different.   Joy, as a Christian, is the complete confidence of knowing that you are firmly planted in God’s hand and that He is watching out for you in all things.  As I lingered on that thought I almost felt like “Superman”.  I’m joyful because I know who I am, I know whose I am, and I am fully confident that I am safe and secure in the palm of God’s hand.  It’s almost like being bullet-proof.  I have no fear about the areas of my life that have unanswered questions—because I know that everything that I encounter is “God filtered” and my heavenly father is always working out any potential hardships or pitfalls in my life for my betterment.  
    A verse in the bible that I always loved (but never fully understood) was in Habakkuk 3:17-18.  I’ve quoted this verse on Facebook before when speaking about suffering.  In this verse the writer, Habakkuk, states, “Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.”  I have spoken before about how in that society, if your fig trees didn’t bud, you had no grapes, your olive crop failed AND you had no cows or sheep—you were in trouble.  In ancient Israel there was no welfare, unemployment or food stamps.  If all of your ability to earn an income was suddenly taken away—from a practical standpoint you were looking at the certainty of starvation and death.  Yet, the author follows up by saying “yet, I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.”  I never understood how the author could be rejoicing, or experiencing joy, in the midst of all that failure and devastation.  I could understand if he were simply “enduring” or “surviving”--but to actually “rejoice”?  That was something I had a hard time relating to, until recently.  Habakkuk was able to “rejoice” in God because he knew whole heartedly that God was his savior.  And he was able to rejoice and be at peace knowing that God would and does provide.  I’m starting to understand that concept and just beginning to walk it out. As I said earlier, as a child I always wanted to know what it would feel like to be a super hero.  At this point in my walk with God I feel like I’m beginning to understand now.   :)   
Psalm 5:11, “But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy.  Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.”
Isaiah 54:17, "no weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and this is their vindication from me," declares the LORD."
        


No comments:

Post a Comment

"It's easy to be a "Christian" when life is good. The real sign of a person's relationship with Jesus is who they are when things are hard and it seems like life is falling apart." ~Brian